Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Wednesday, October 15

Lois reports that Mom had a busy morning of therapy and evaluation on her first day in Room #111-B at NERHP, as the different therapists sought to determine her current abilities in each area. In no particular order, here are a few tidbits:
  • For the first time since the aneurysm 27 days ago, she got dressed in her very own clothes!
  • Mom can read! In fact, at times she seems to process info visually that she cannot process audibly.
  • She was talking quite a bit today. Single words and short sentences are good, but when she attempts a longer sentence, it comes out mixed. . . a few understandable words, and gibberish. We have been assured that her speech will continue to improve as her body reabsorbs the fluid in her brain.
  • Physically, she is standing and supporting about 75% of her own weight, with therapists on each side carrying the other 25%. They were helping her move from bed to chair and vice versa.
  • Occupational therapy had her combing her own hair!
  • It seems that she comprehends some things more than others. She needed a lot of help when asked to "point to the clock." She finally did, after being shown what to do, but Lois wasn't sure whether she was responding to the audible instruction, or just copying what she saw.
  • Aunt Jane & cousin Stephen stopped by today! Thanks!! We know it is a blessing to Mom, and will help her recovery, to see familiar faces and hear familiar voices.
  • Dad is doing OK too, thanks to folks being so kind and willing to check on him and help him in areas where needed. We thank God for you!!

1 comment:

Trish said...

So glad to hear that your Mom is doing so well! Portland is less than an hour from us...maybe someday we can swing up that way!
Feel free to get our phone number from the Cornish's and give us a call!
Praise the Lord!!