Monday, December 27, 2010

Dad resting with pain meds

Dad's abdominal discomfort became unbearable today. The charge nurse contacted the staff physician to get a prescription for pain medication, but was told he would take care of it tomorrow--his office was closing early due to the snowstorm! So the nurse suggested that my mom call the doctor herself--a departure from Ledgeview's usual policy. My mom spoke to someone in the doctor's office and PLEADED that it not be left until tomorrow!!

The doctor did not call her back, but thankfully, he DID call in a prescription. Dad received both a shot of morphine for immediate relief, and also a "pain patch" that delivers a narcotic through the skin. The patch is supposed to be effective for up to 72 hours. So Dad was able to rest some this evening.

His feeding tube has another blockage, after only a week. When they tried to clear it this afternoon, it was hurting him, so they gave up the attempt until he got his new medications. The nurse was planning to try again tonight, which is likely to wake him up. :-( But if they can't clear it, that means a trip to the hospital in the morning to replace it. We are really hoping that won't be necessary, because the transfers and ride over bumpy roads would be really rough for him at this point.

Mom and I have a bi-monthly Care Plan meeting scheduled tomorrow morning with Dad's care team. (I'll participate via phone.) We would really appreciate your prayers for wisdom as we all seek to do what is best for Dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alice,

I really don't have any words other than to say that I'm praying for you. I have not experienced this yet and I thank you for sharing your journey. I know you have a very special family to have given your dad to the Lord and abide in His wisdom. I will also pray that your meeting with your mom (via telephone) goes well for all of you. Blessings.

Wilma H.